Postgraduate Year Two Critical Care Pharmacy Residency
NYU Langone Health offers a one-year postgraduate year two (PGY-2) Critical Care Pharmacy Residency at NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island. Our program provides training to advance and consolidate pharmacists’ knowledge and practice in the field of critical care pharmacotherapy.
Residents are a part of our interdisciplinary team and actively participate in providing high-level and evidence-based critical care pharmaceutical therapy to patients. Residents develop clinical skills through a range of hands-on rotations, optimizing patient consultations and treatment with pharmacotherapy, pharmacotherapeutics, and pharmacokinetics.
Residents have opportunities to participate in various health system committees, initiatives, projects, and research. Completion of a research project is required.
Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Curriculum
Our curriculum consists of the following core rotations:
- cardiothoracic intensive care
- emergency medicine
- infectious disease consult
- medical intensive care I
- medical intensive care II
- neonatal intensive care
- neurosurgical intensive care
- orientation/pharmacy operations
- surgical intensive care
Resident may choose from the following elective rotations:
- pediatric intensive care
- repeat a core rotation
Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Longitudinal Requirements
Residents have the following longitudinal responsibilities:
- complete a research project for publication and present at local and regional pharmacy conferences along with submission to a national critical care meeting
- participate in medication-use evaluation projects
- precept PGY-1 pharmacy residents and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE) pharmacy students
- provide clinical in-house coverage every other weekend
- attend monthly toxicology conferences
- participate in various hospital-wide committees
- participate in cardiopulmonary arrest resuscitation
Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Stipend and Benefits
Residents receive a stipend of $60,000 and comprehensive health insurance, 10 paid time off days, sick days, and professional meeting days.
Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Eligibility Requirements
Applicants to our Critical Care Pharmacy Residency must possess a doctor of pharmacy degree (PharmD) from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)–accredited college or school of pharmacy. Applicants must also have completed a PGY-1 pharmacy practice residency and be licensed or eligible for licensure in New York State.
Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Application Process
We offer one PGY-2 position in critical care pharmacy per year. Applicants must apply through the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS) and participate in the ASHP Resident Matching Program. The resident matching program code is 633352.
Applicants must submit the following materials by January 5, 2023:
- all official college transcripts
- three letters of recommendation
- letter of intent that describes the applicant’s goals and interests, their motivation for completing the PGY-2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency, and reasons why they would like to be a part of NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island
The residency start date is July 5, 2023, subject to change.
For more information about the PGY-2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency, email program director Xian Jie Cindy Chen, BS, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP, at firstname.lastname@example.org.