Information for Visiting MD Students
NYU Long Island School of Medicine offers clinical electives to visiting students who are in their final year of medical school in the United States. Schools must be accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- fulfilled prerequisites for the requested elective(s)
- certification in basic life support
- completion of universal precautions training to ensure compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- proof of malpractice insurance
- proof of personal health insurance
- fulfill immunization requirements and submit required medical documentation
- comply with COVID-19 testing requirements and provide documentation of full COVID-19 vaccination
- documentation of current annual flu vaccination (for electives between October and June)
- permission from home medical school to participate
We accept applications for visiting student rotations through the Association of American Medical Colleges’ Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO).
Liability Insurance and Health Insurance
Your home medical school must retain responsibility for medical liability during your assignment to NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island. You are required to carry active health insurance for the duration of your participation.
Visiting Student Application Materials
External MD candidates may participate in up to two four-week electives as a visiting student. Refer to the VSLO for elective descriptions and block dates.
Availability and Notification
Elective rotations should be arranged at least two months in advance. Please specify the exact dates of the elective desired. We accept a limited number of students at any one time to maximize the educational experience. All applications are subject to approval by the instructor.
You will receive written confirmation of approval for your elective, specifying the course and dates.
Once approved as a visiting student at NYU Long Island School of Medicine, you will receive notifications for required documentation and training modules, including mistreatment reporting, that must be completed before reporting for your rotation.
Promptly respond to notifications that your application is incomplete; you are not permitted to participate until all requirements are satisfied. Once requirements are satisfied, you will receive a notice from the Registrar’s Office about when and where to report. We provide an orientation, a temporary identification card, parking information, and any required personal protective equipment before directing you to your rotation department.
All departments use a standard assessment evaluation form. If your school has required forms, ensure they are forwarded to the Office of Registration and Student Records at firstname.lastname@example.org before rotation completion. We require that you complete an evaluation of your experience at the conclusion of the program.
Information for International Students
Due to limited availability, we are unable to accept requests for elective rotations from students enrolled at international medical schools. We do not provide observership opportunities.